09 July 2008

Wanderlust

A few things have come to convergence in my head, kind of all at once, that have brought me to a realization.


First is that I felt the need to write, but wondered if I could produce something apolitical at the moment. Everything I've felt compelled to write lately has been about the state of the nation in one way or another, and although I'm happy to share all my thoughts on the subject, I wanted to just write something more... mundane.


Also today, I came to the understanding that Waterfest 14 would not be in the cards for me. There are plenty of other VW events this summer, so I have no issue missing this one. But in thinking about the show, and why I wanted to go, I came to the realization that I haven't gone anywhere in a while. Now that relates back to the previous point, in that some of my favourite blogs have been about travel and trips.


I've also realized that I've been saying more and more often lately, that I want to move. And when I say move, I mean really move. Out of this area, out of Connecticut, and out of the country. France is really sticking with me, and although I know it's only one of many possible destinations, the idea of being ready to leave continent and language behind, without fear, proves my readiness to pack it all up and go.


So... it would seem I need to stretch my legs a bit. No, I'm not leaving for France tomorrow, but I'd like to wander. In February I drove from one side of this land to the other, and now I have a better understanding of how varied this country is. Now I want to see more. This summer seems to be a good time to do some travelling. Nothing serious; nothing costly; nothing far. Sunday, I hope to go up to Woodstock, CT (no relation to the hippy festival). Maybe I'll take a bunch of little trips like this. Gas is pricey, but at 30 miles to the gallon, I can still roam a bit on $20 to 25.

Connecticut is getting too small. Soon enough it will be too small to stay. But for now, it's time to see a bit more of it, and the surrounding area. As I learned this winter, there's much more to see than what I've come to know. On a related point, a quotation I just stumbled across. "Hitler didn't travel. Stalin didn't travel. Saddam Hussein never traveled. They didn't want to have their orthodoxy challenged." — Howard Gardner

I, on the other hand, am more than happy to have mine challenged... in fact, I welcome it.

3 comments:

Michelle-Anè "Molly" Muro said...

As if I couldn't feel any worse about the subject, you go and write a blog detailing that Waterfest is not in the cards. :(

I made a choice that only pertained to me. I chose not to go because 100 degrees plus 90 percent humidity on a race track is simply not something I want to go through again. Heat stroke was bad enough the first time...as you well remember.

I know you want to get out of town.
You are use to us just taking off every weekend to parts unknown. And believe me I love that we can do that even on a shoestring budget. But I don't share your disdain for home. I love it, as a matter of fact.

Then again I'm not sure that disdain is quite the right word. I think 'boredom' is likely more appropriate. You get bored very very easily and while you may not want to admit it, you are difficult to keep entertained. It takes much more to keep you occupied than most.

Perhaps that it simply your adult ADD. ;)
You start things, like screenplays, but you don't finish them. You just move on to the next thing and the next and the next.

What's a girl to do?
::shrug::


And for those of you reading this comment, the answer is "no". Ian and I are not fighting.
We are lovingly disagreeing. <3
And yes it is absolutely true that we are seriously considering moving to Europe after we are married.

Ian Scott Shackleton said...

Just allow me to say this... I did not write this to make any comment about the fact that we're not going to Waterfest, except to say that that conversation was the impetus of this thought process. At this point, I am happy we're not going, because in it's stead, we get to go to the Woodstock show this weekend, and the cupping next weekend, both of which are things I haven't done.

I agree, I bore easily -- probably moreso in the summer. But my thoughts are less that I don't want to be in the house, and more that I want to be somewhere new. I don't want to rush anything, but I'm getting to agree with you more and more that CT is too small, and it's time for somewhere new... new on a grand scale.

I'm ready for the next adventure, whether that be NJ, Woodstock, France, or Siberia.

Michelle-Anè "Molly" Muro said...

You know what's amazing?
You get out of the house WAYYYYYYYY more than I do yet you still complain!

What are you going to do should you break your back and become bed-ridden or something? God forbid.

Being in the house really isn't as bad as you paint it. We have a beautiful home with central air and all the amenities....even a swimming pool! You either have to learn to look at home differently.

You also need to remember that you are not in the type of relationship where you are being strangled or confined. I trust you to do whatever it is you want to do or to go wherever you want to go. But you have to bear in mind that I cannot always be on board with those things.
We have different interests and since the bulk of my life was noisy and non-stop, I relish my oppertunities to simply relax at home or entertain guests etc.

One other thing: new friends are needed. I think you need more socialization with strangers.
The same crowd ceases to even make you happy anymore, save for a handful of them.

Its time for you to branch out and expose yourself to new people and new challanges. Why do you think I'm so excited about school? It presents the oppertunity for growth and change.

P.S.
Wanna go to the Trolley Museum?