08 February 2005

The Pretty Hate Machine

I was listening to the album. Probably for the first time in its entirety since 1996. Some of you know that I just couldn't for a very long time. The album was a favorite of mine at a time in my life when my emotional state coincided too closely with the of Trent Reznor at the time when he wrote it. Literally, the album would bring me to tears.

So, after some time I came to terms with the girl who was the object of the album to me. We became really good friends again. She was in my wedding. Recently I was at hers. So, since the point of her wedding, I figured I could deal with the album again. I figured I had to give it another chance, I consider it one of the best albums of the early nineties. To give it up forever would be unfair.

So, I put the album in my CD player in my car. I've gotten from start to finish on it. (Took me a couple days, my commute is pretty short.) No tears, no emotions. Not even any bad memories. It's just the music again. Trent is still angry about his love life of the time, but I'm not. It's good again... except for one thing...

It's not. Although I still recognize the significance of the album when it came out, I just don't find it good anymore. It's so very dated now. It's beginning to sound now like it was produced entirely on a single Casio keyboard. I don't mean to knock it, it was a great album. But now I feel like a shelved it for so long, I missed a lot of the opportunity to enjoy it. And now it is just flat.

Currently listening :
Pretty Hate Machine
By Nine Inch Nails
Release date: 24 September, 1991

No comments: