22 December 2004

Who's he to talk?

Archived MySpace blog
Current mood: contemplative


I recently found myself recounting a story of something a guy I know did/said to a friend of mine. And both times I told the story I made the comment "Who's he to talk, anyway?" Then later this evening, I wondered to myself, "well, who am I to talk, either?"

See, I saw any comment he made as "the pot calling the kettle black". But when you think about it, if it wasn't my friend, would I have made the same comment. Maybe not to his face, but worse, probably behind his back. So, who am I to talk?

Telling my friends, none of them question my right to make judgments as to whether he was cool enough, or not a dork enough, or whatever enough, to make said comment. But those were my friends. He was among his friends, and maybe among his friends he isn't so black a pot to make judgment on the kettle. It really is a matter of perspective.

Now I'm not arguing that the comment and actions weren't hurtful, and made with malice. For this reason I do not accept them. Therefore, I won't be rushing to hang out with this person anytime soon. he was mean to my friend, and therefore I don't have to tolerate him. But of the judgment I was so quick to make of him, who's anyone to talk? Him, me, whoever.

It is said, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Won't be me, but I've got my rock in my hand, am I'm sure to toss the second.

Currently listening :
God Fodder
By Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Release date: 02 July, 1991

No comments: