31 January 2005

The Continuing Tale of Buddy Bartender

So its Saturday... about 10:00 p.m. I'm at my friend's new place, after having just busted my ass helping him move at a whirlwind pace. (We unpacked a full, stuffed, UHaul truck in 59 minutes to get it back on time.)

So we're sitting around, and my phone rings. I take a look... "Incoming Call: M______ D_______". So, I turn to my friend, "It's my buddy that owns the bar. Oh, he left a voicemail, you gotta listen to this!"

So I check my voicemail on speakerphone so my friend and his wife can hear just how pathetic Buddy Bartender is.

"Hey! Its M____. Yeah... I haven't heard from you in a while. What're you up to. If you're not doing anything, why don't you come on down. I'm workin' tonight."

Now at this point, I'm thinking 'Wow, is it pathetic or what when the bartender is calling individual patrons to come down on a Saturday night', and the message continues...

"Yeah, we should hang out."

Really, when your friend asks you to hang out, are you paying him $4 a beer?

"Oh, and we should talk about the Benefit. Yeah, its all set for the 27th. Yeah, so if your not doing anything, you should come on down. Gimme a call."

So, I did offer to help him with the benefit. I don't know what help I can give him. I've got his media hook-up all set, but what's to promote when he can't even get one band I'd actually listen to?

So I explain this to my friends, about the benefit, and what a loser he's become, and how we sort of abandoned his bar, and then it hits me...

The voicemail was crystal clear, no background noise whatsoever. No band, no noisy patrons, nothing. Nothing at all.

No comments: